February is the new June for weddings and those brides may be on to something. Here are 7 reasons winter is a great time to buy a home:
1. There’s less competition so all offers are given more consideration. Most consider this to be off season so there are fewer balances. Also, many sellers are more motivated to sell in winter, giving the home buyer the in an advantage in negations.
2. Sellers are worn-out some sellers have been trying to sell their homes all summer and are ready to move on even at lower prices.
3. Sellers are serious. Sellers in the winter have a reason to sell it could be a Job transfer or maybe they bought a home over the summer and have not yet sold their old one. Fall and winter sellers are more open to negotiating for many reasons.
4. You can take advantage of tax breaks before the end of the year. Home buying is a tax deduction nirvana be sure to consult a tax adviser but most can deduct some of the mortgage costs and property taxes.
5. Fall and Winter is the best time of the year. The weather will not make you melt and you can check the football score on the radio.
6. You’re the center of attention. Real estate agents, title companies, appraisers and the entire home industry is able to dedicate more time to getting you the home you want.
7. You can take advantage of end-of-year sales to outfit your home. Fall sales at department and future stores are notoriously generous at this time of year. According to Consumer Reports, September is a great time for buying carpet and paint. October means lawn mowers go on sale, and appliances and cookware are cheaper in November.